Monday 20 May 2013

A little moderate to vigorous physical activity does more than you think.

There are others!
Hat-tip to Bill Lagakos for tweeting this:- The Influence Of Physical Activity On Vascular Complications And Mortality In Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.

"RESULTS: Forty-six percent of participants reported undertaking moderate to vigorous physical activity for >15 minutes at least once in the previous week. During a median of 5 years of follow up, 1,031 patients died, 1,147 experienced a major cardiovascular event and 1,136 a microvascular event. Compared to patients who undertook no or mild physical activity, those reporting moderate to vigorous activity had a decreased risk of cardiovascular events (HR 0.78, 95% CI 0.69-0.88, p < 0.0001), microvascular events (HR 0.85, 95% CI 0.76-0.96, p0.010) and all-cause mortality (HR 0.83, 95% CI 0.73-0.94, p0.0044)."

A HR of 0.83 is a reduction of 17%. That's quite impressive, for at least 15 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity at least once a week. Must. Get. Off. This. Sofa. More. Often.

16 comments:

Kade Storm A.K.A. Hedonist said...

Have you considered getting one of those chinning bars that can be attached to the door frame? A lot of short and intense exercises can be done on those things.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

I already do chin-ups by hooking my fingers over the edge of the door frame on the other side. There's also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KHFNVxzu4

Kade Storm A.K.A. Hedonist said...

I see. That's good, Nige. I still think that one can do more with a bar as it provides room for leg lifts and simple small exercises that can keep fitness going for a long time. Then again, if you're pulling yourself up on a semi-regular basis, then you're doin' great.

Also, lol! Thanks for the link. However, that's a shit bar. I use these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-GYM-EXERCISE-BAR-CHIN-UPS-SIT-UP-PULL-UPS-PUSH-UP-Men-Body-Workout-/360641810105?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item53f7ed4eb9.

Charles Grashow said...

Why not join a gym?

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Been there. Done that. Not doing that again.

I have a relatively long body, so I carry a higher % of my total weight in my torso. This means that my legs get a good workout when I go for a brisk stroll.

Charles Grashow said...

Been there. Done that. Not doing that again.

Why not?

Nigel Kinbrum said...

See http://nigeepoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/its-all-about-me-baby-1955-1997.html


Aversion therapy really works!

Charles Grashow said...

If you mean this

"In secondary school, sports was dreadful what with having to play cricket using a cricket ball (instead of a tennis ball), contact sports, swimming and showers. Being short, fat & under-developed, I was embarrassed to get undressed in front of my peers, so I developed the art of forging sick notes in my mum's handwriting. I was a very sickly child! ;-D
My forging skills resulted in the total avoidance of swimming (also contact sports, cross-country running etc) and a big improvement in the quality of my handwriting! With tennis, I had to travel to a tennis court by train. I didn't mind doing that, as there were no showers at the tennis courts and I could play the game for a while until I overheated. Secondary school was where I developed a total hatred for almost all sports and when I left, that was the end of exercise as far as I was concerned. When I left secondary school at the age of 18, I was 4 feet 9 inches tall"

I say BULLOCKS!!

Nigel Kinbrum said...

I definitely was 4 feet 9 inches tall when I left secondary school at the age of 18.
Any way, I do occasional chin-ups. I also go for brisk walks. I will not go to a gym. Not now. Not ever. Never.

Charles Grashow said...

Then I suggest push-ups with hands in various positions plus crunches plus planks

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Why do I have to do that?

Charles Grashow said...

push-ups for upper body strength. planks and crunches for the core

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Doesn't having sex already do that?

Charles Grashow said...

depends how much you have you cheecky bastard

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Not as much as I'd like, obviously!

Anonymous said...

Hiya! You some kind of professional? Great message.

Can you inform me the best way to subscribe
your blog?

My web-site why am i not getting Pregnant